A couple of mistakes slipped through in the Walking Tour Calendar in the latest issue of FootPrints:
We regret the errors and hope it does not cause you any inconvenience. The July calendar on this web site is correct.
Join Nevada Humanities Chautauqua and HRPS for a free Walking Tour with Annette Baldwin, Lee Johnson, and Jim Smith. Architecture tells the story of a community and its people. Preserving the best of our architectural past makes this possible. Chautauquan Annette Baldwin, a.k.a. architect Julia Morgan, Lee Johnson of Reyman Brothers Construction, and Jim Smith from the Historic Reno Preservation Society will lead a walk from McKinley Arts & Culture Center to the Washoe County Courthouse, and talk about how these two buildings were inspired by the work of Julia Morgan. This program is produced by Nevada Humanities in collaboration with the Historic Reno Preservation Society. Meet at the McKinley Arts and Culture Center, 925 Riverside Dr., Reno.
The news made me happy. The Washoe County Library, completed in 1966 and located at 301 South Center Street, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on February 13, 2013. The National Register, as many of you know, is the nation's official list of cultural resources worthy of preservation.
It was a warm but delightful evening on Thursday, June 6th, at the dedication of the Powning Monument in Lundsford Park along Riverside Drive. After a lengthy period of fund raising, the installation of the stone and brick pillar was a reality when completed in 2012. Designed by artist Loren Jahn, the pillar celebrates the 1887 Powning's Addition, one of Reno's earliest tracts, and the City of Reno's first Conservation District. On hand for the celebration was former City Councilman Dan Gustin, Ward One City Councilwomen, Jenny Brekhus, many current and former HRPS board members, and those who donated funds and materials towards the building of the pillar.
Councilman Gustin read the city proclamation that declared the day to "honor the Powning's Addition" and introduced two former Historic Resources Commission members and HRPS' presidents, Felvia Belaustegui and Cindy Ainsworth, who spearheaded the campaign to make the addition the first Reno Conservation District. Councilwoman Brekhus praised HRPS continuing preservation and history work and pledged her support to promote Reno’s cultural resources. The celebration culminated with the pillar ribbon cutting performed by Felvia, Cindy, HRPS' President, Byllie Andrews and Dan Gustin.
The evening was capped off with a tasty dinner based on a 1902 menu at the Powning's Addition historic Daughter's Café. Most sat outside and enjoyed the evening breeze. It was the perfect ending to an important celebration in this historic district.
Daughter's Café is one of the first restaurants in the addition but good things continue to happen in this delightful neighborhood. Just a short walk down the street from the pillar along Riverside Drive, The Hub Coffee Roasters and Beaujolais Bistro are preparing to open this summer in a rehabilitated vintage building. Residential and business improvements are taking place along the historic streets like Jones, Vine and Winter, one of the benefits of becoming a Conservation District. So get out there this summer and take a walk in this significant downtown neighborhood and witness the rebirth first hand! And don't forget to visit the Powning Monument on Riverside Drive.