Debbie Hinman, HRPS FootPrints Editor and HRC Commissioner: A Tale of Two Cities
Historian, author, walking tour guide and Reno expert, Debbie Hinman will present "A Tale of Two Cities, Virginia City and Reno." It's an overview of the beginnings of Nevada and the two significant early towns, Virginia City and Reno, and the symbiotic relationship between the two. Starting with the events that brought these early Nevada towns into existence, we learn how their survival depended on coexisting.
- Date: Wednesday, March 21, 2018
- Time: 5:30 PM
- Location: Northwest Library, 2325 Robb Drive, Reno
Kelly Rigby and Joyce Cox: Flick Ranch
In 1857, George F. Stone and Charles C. Gates opened a trading post east of Reno on the Truckee River and in 1860 erected a toll bridge crossing the river, known as Stone and Gates Crossing. By 1862, George Alt purchased the property for a ranch. George Mapes, grandfather of Charlie Mapes of the Mapes Hotel, bought the property in 1918. Margaret Flick and family bought the property from Mrs. C. W. Mapes in 1941. The ranch house was built in 1942 and purchased by the Reno Catholic Diocese in 1948 to become the first Bishop Manogue High School. In 1958, the Brothers of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary moved into the house using it as their monastery for the next 39 years. In 1997, SageWind opened an adolescent substance abuse treatment center; in 2002, they became Bristlecone Family Resources. The Truckee River Flood Project bought the ranch house and property in 2007 planning to terrace the land to reduce flooding, requiring demolition of the ranch house. Kelly Rigby, President of the Flick Ranch Project, is attempting to save the Flick ranch house from demolition.
- Date: Sunday, March 25, 2018
- Time: 1:30 PM
- Location: Sierra View Library, 4001 South Virginia in Reno Town Mall