Reno Harvest of Homes Tour

Hall of Fame

The home is the center and circumference, the start and the finish, of most of our lives.

—Charlotte Perkins Gilman

Our Hall of Fame recognizes the homes and generous owners who opened their houses in past years. There wouldn't be a Tour if this generosity and pride didn't exist.

Historic Reno Preservation Society thanks each and every one of you!

  • 2010 - Our Inaugural Year
  • 2011
  • 2012
  • 2013
  • 2014
  • 2015
  • 2016

Lyndi Cooper- and Jack Schroeder
Patrick Ranch House
1225 Gordon Avenue in Southwest Reno

Joan Arrizabalaga
Upson/Arrizabalaga House
937 Jones Street in Powning's Addition

Rosalie and Scott Powell
Full Circle House
360 Moran Street in the West of Wells neighborhood

Shirlee and Larry Hull
Hart House
1150 Monroe Court in Southwest Reno

Shirie Wallace
Abner Sewell House
1280 Monroe Street in Southwest Reno

Joan and Tim Elam
Enchanted Garden
2775 Mayberry Drive on the "Verdi Road" in West Reno

Ivye and Lee Johnson
137 Burns Street in the West of Wells neighborhood

Patty and Wayne Melton
1127 Codel Way in the University neighborhood

Marybeth Goddard and Michael Powell
59 Winter Street in Powning's Addition

Ellen and Gene Williams
700 Monroe Street in Southwest Reno

Jessica and Troy Schneider
835 Arlington Avenue in Southwest Reno

Carl Shogren
1155 Mark Twain in Southwest Reno

Scott Gibson and Mercedes de la Garza
575 Ridge Street

Stephen and Beth Brennan
775 California Avenue

Neil and Roberta Ferguson
640 California Avenue

Craig Sweeney
716 South Arlington Avenue

Anthony and Nancy Palladino
1000 Plumas Street

Eric Rasmussen and Victoria Hines
1080 Mount Rose Street

Tom and Lori Burke
629 Jones Street "The Cann/Burke House"

John LaGatta
725 California Avenue

Paul and Sue Rutherford
927 Joaquin Miller Drive

Mike and Pat Ferraro Klos
245 Glenmanor Drive

Hugh Roy and Cynthia Marshall
2301 Lakeside Drive "The Hancock/Marshall Mansion"

Jack Hursh
119 and 121 Vine Street

Nancy and Tim Gilbert
970 Joaquin Miller Drive, "The Greystone Castle"

Francoise Batteauw
761 California Avenue "The Parsons/Steinmiller/McGinley House"

Doug and Lisa Bennett
587 Ridge Street

Loretta Wright
506 Wheeler Avenue

201 Wonder Street (c. 1908)

This beautiful property's current owner calls it Wonder Cottage and an absolute wonder it is. Because of the (painted) cedar shingles on the cross gable of the upper floor, this home is considered Shingle Style architecture, a style made popular by the rise of the New England school of architecture. Well-known architecture firms such as McKim, Mead & White and Peabody & Stearns helped to popularize this style for seaside cottages for well-to-do Easterners. So popular was the style that it was included in the Radford Architectural Company's pattern catalog entitled 100 Turn-of-the-Century House Plans; our Reno home was likely built from that plan.

The home is now located in the Terrace Addition, a part of the West of Wells Neighborhood Conservation District. In 1907, Andrew Litch subdivided his ranchlands (his ranch house is today the Silver Peak Brewery) so in 1908, Wonder Cottage became one of the first homes to be built on the new lots. This house’s construction date can be verified due to two fortuitous events: during his own remodel, the current owner found letters secreted in a wall, including details of the home's construction. The second is that the home is clearly visible in George Lawrence's 1908 aerial photograph of Reno. This area was at that time on the outskirts of town, rural and largely agricultural, but the V&T Railroad ran up Holcomb Avenue just a block away and for a brief period, there was a nearby streetcar line that connected these "suburbs" to the town center.

Quite a number of residents called Wonder Cottage home in its early days, then families began to settle for longer periods. From 1930-1939 the owners were Roy and Alice Cooper and a number of young people, possibly grandchildren. Mrs. Cooper's mother, Lucy Baldwin, was also part of the household. Mrs. Baldwin was a Nevada pioneer, making her home here in 1886. Following the Coopers, the Salmon family resided in the home until 1945. Both sons had enlisted and fought in WWII; sadly, only one returned. In 1945, Herman and Martha Dierlamm and their children Norma and Richard moved in. The Dierlamm family held the home for over 35 years. Following the departure of Martha Dierlamm in 1981, the home had a succession of owners and bad luck. After a burst pipe on the upper floor damaged much of the home, it sat in sad disrepair in spite of various attempts at restoration. The house came very close to demolition by neglect but was fortunately rescued by a buyer knowledgeable of construction who saw not what was, but what could be. That man was Rob Madry, current owner, who purchased the home in 2010.

Madry had to first take care of the basics; there was no electricity or plumbing and the foundation was crumbling. He used rocks from the site to create the new foundation. The porch in front of the living room had been enclosed at some point but supports were metal poles. Madry enclosed these to blend with the molding and other wood touches in the home. He widened the upstairs hall, replaced the stairs and made use of formerly wasted space for closets, a larger bathroom and even a loft area above one of the bedrooms.

The dining room is spacious as is the beautifully appointed kitchen with its farmhouse sink. The home's color palette is soft and restful, from the Benjamin Moore Historic Collection. Madry has also wonderfully landscaped the home and has converted the old garage to a "ping pong hangout." The finishing touch is the whimsical weathervane, "Gabrielle the Mermaid."

Remarked Barrie Schuster, HRPS member and Madry's neighbor, "This is one of the most inspiring makeovers I have ever witnessed. It was a true labor of love. Anyone else would have torn this place down and started over; it was an absolute mess. I am really grateful to Rob for seeing the beauty in this home and choosing to restore it." Upon seeing this home, we know you will wholeheartedly agree.

201 Wonder Street
Owner - Rob Madry

576 Ridge Street (c. 1920)

This comfortable brick home presents a warm and inviting face, sitting snugly on its tree-lined street. It is a Vernacular Style home with popular architectural elements such as two shed dormers and a jerkinhead roof. This type of roof was very popular in smaller residences of the 1920s and 30s, creating a less soaring, more humble effect. Before the later addition, the home was symmetrical with its centered door and large windows on either side.

This Ridge Street neighborhood west of Arlington is in the Rio Vista Addition, part of the Newlands neighborhood. This block of Ridge Street is timeless and lovely, and this home has many impressive neighbors. Across the street are two beautiful brick Frederic DeLongchamps designs and two doors down to the east is the Stadtmuller home, one of the very first homes in Rio Vista.

The home was originally purchased by Fred Wightman, a wealthy Fallon rancher. In 1926, Wightman sold the home to Benjamin and Frances Chappelle. Chappelle was a professor at the University of Nevada, Reno, and later was named head of the foreign languages department. Mrs. Chappelle passed away in 1936, following the birth of her daughter, Caroline. Professor Chappelle's sister Laura Christman came to live with them. An avid gardener, Mrs. Christman purchased an adjoining lot in 1945 and planted a large vegetable garden where she spent much of her time when Caroline was in school. The Professor passed away in 1948; the home passed to Mrs. Christman. In the 1950s she began renting rooms at the residence. A newspaperad for a room to let requested a "refined gentleman." Laura remained there until her death in 1961. Caroline inherited the home, with her husband David, whom she married in 1959. For the next fifteen years, the home passed through several different ownerships until local insurance man Mike Dolan and his wife Dourene purchased the house in the 1970s. The Dolans occupied the home for quite a few years, did some remodeling and then rented out the home when they purchased a new residence just a few doors down.

This home, as most that are nearing 100 years old, has undergone many remodels and additions over the years. In May of 1948, Chappelle received a permit to add two rooms and a bath at a cost of $2750. There is also a small addition to the rear. A carriage house/garage behind the home opening onto the alley was also remodeled to create an apartment, which then became its neighbor, 572 Ridge.

The current owners of the home are Damien "Dom" Sinnott and Zeina Barkawi who first rented the home and then purchased it in 2013. Since that time, Dom, an attorney, has been spending most of his spare time renovating the home. He describes it as a work in progress, but home tour participants will get to see the fruits of his labor thus far, which include ripping up carpet and pad, refinishing the wood floors, removing layers of wallpaper and painting. Dom created a fun time-lapse video of his work which can be found on YouTube, called Wood Floors and Painting.

The living room is now lovely, with gleaming floors and attractive paint. There is an ornate fireplace surround, installed by the Dolans who also created a beautiful textured plaster ceiling in a roseate pattern. Due to the arrival of a first child this summer, the creation of a nursery became a part of the Sinnott/Barkawis' upstairs renovation plan. The master bedroom has received a facelift but still has its walk-in cedar closet.

Dom and Zeina this year took advantage of HRPS' Neighborhood Preservation program, offering owners of historic homes matching funds for exterior improvements. The couple was awarded a grant for painting of the exterior non-brick areas of the home. Prior to this, Dom and Zeina added a front patio area constructed from pavers. As the home had no porch, this area now gives the family a lovely place to sit on summer evenings and enjoy their historic and charming neighborhood.

576 Ridge Street
Owners - Damien "Dom" Sinnott and Zeina Barkawi

25 Bret Harte Avenue (c. 1930)

Throughout many older neighborhoods in Reno, lovely Spanish-style homes can be found, constructed of stucco and sporting red tile roofs. W. E. Barnard, who built 25 Bret Harte and many other homes in the area, was particularly fond of this type of architecture. This home, which Barnard named El Mirasol (the Sunflower), is one of the most beautiful of this style. Also called Monterey Style, structures such as this were patterned after the Spanish California Missions.

The home sits on three lots in the Newlands Manor Addition. This addition was the creation of Barnard, a developer and financier who was active in Reno from the mid-1920s through the mid-1930s. Many of the homes in this neighborhood were either built by his company, Nevada Developers, Inc., or by others on his subdivided lots after he purchased 21 acres of land west of Gordon Avenue and south of Marsh Avenue. So often details are never known about homes of this vintage but fortunately, 25 Bret Harte was publicized in large ads in May of 1930 offering it as a model home open for inspection. The architect is listed as H. W. Vaughn and it was furnished by Reno Furniture Co. in "true Mediterranean style."

The home was purchased by well-known local attorney, John Robb Clarke. Clarke and his wife Moss and daughter Josephine Ruth took advantage of their lovely home, entertaining often. Originally, the home was only one story. In 1936, Clarke added the second story above the garage. He may have engaged the original architect to design the addition, as it was beautifully done, entirely in keeping with the style of the home. A rusticated beltcourse separates the stories and there is a balcony which further enhances the Spanish style. An in-ground swimming pool was added for neighborhood children, one of the first private pools in Reno. Daughter Josephine Ruth grew to be a beautiful, vivacious young woman who was also a licensed pilot and accomplished equestrienne. In the early 1940s, she went to Hollywood and found work as a stunt rider and eventually as a leading lady under the name Reno Browne in low-budget westerns. She had a brief marriage to another western actor, Alfred "Lash" LaRue.

Mrs. Clarke passed away in 1958. Reno Browne, now known as Ruth Clarke, returned to live in Reno. Mr. Clarke remarried and then passed away in 1970. One of his pallbearers was William Raggio. The Clarke home was put up for sale by private bid in December of 1971 and was purchased by Michael and Pamela Norris. In 1978, the home was sold to its current owners, the Conklin family.

Over the past 37 years, Mary and Thomas (Tam) Conklin have lovingly cared for the home, always considering the basic integrity of the structure when making their changes. Their remodel projects have included the main bath, the addition of a utility room, the master bedroom, family room and basement.

Today the home is lovely and comfortable. There is a wonderful turret entry with original colorful tiles set into the plaster walls. The Conklins added windows and baseboard tile to brighten up the space. They have replaced the windows throughout the home but took their time until they found the perfect new ones to retain the look of the originals. The wall sconces, hardwood floors in the dining and sitting room and timbers in the sitting room are all original to the home. The walls in the hallway have a fabulous stenciled design done during the Clarkes' tenure. It is said that a Hollywood set designer, a crony of Lash LaRue’s, did the work. The heavy wooden doors are original. The original garage is now a den featuring beautiful wall sconces, beadboard and a river rock fireplace. Outside, the yard, pool area and patio are attractive and private.

Mary Conklin is very supportive of HRPS' historic home tours. She says she hopes that seeing these homes so carefully restored will inspire people to think about caring for our history and to not throw anything away.

25 Bret Harte Avenue
Owners - Mary and Thomas Conklin

1325 Lander Street (c. 1938)

The exterior brick is warm and inviting on this Minimal Traditional style home tucked away on a quiet, tree-lined street. Minimal Traditional was a prevalent style from the 1930s until about 1950 when it was replaced by the popular Ranch. The home has an attractive covered entry and a hipped roof with lovely, original casement windows.

The home was built in O'Brien's Southbrae Addition, platted in 1908, by the contractor firm of Hancock & Hancock, a longtime Reno father and son business. C. H. Hancock built this home and then briefly operated his business out of it, running the following ad in 1938: "5 new homes completed, 3 under construction. Also have 40 lots upon any of which our architect will design a house for you." The housing trade was booming in this pre-war era; materials were plentiful and Reno was moving southward. Garages were becoming a standard feature of new homes and were often attached to the home. Throughout 1939, Hancock & Hancock were still advertising new homes priced at $5,000 through $9,000.

In 1940, Hancock sold the home to a fellow builder, Benjamin Leach of the O & O Novelly Co. He also had a retail business, Leach's Variety Store on Sierra Street. Leach and his family had moved to Reno from Cherry Creek, in White Pine County. Leach passed away in 1964, his wife Hattie in 1966. The home then passed to a number of short-term owners throughout the 1970s and 1980s. In the 1990s, Bill and Lisa Thimmesch purchased the home. Bill was on the Reno City Planning Commission and contributed to the Reno Streetscape Master Plan. He was also a member of the core group who, led by Pat Klos, established the Historic Reno Preservation Society. Bill decided to accept a job offer on the east coast and sold the home to current owners, Jim Barcellos and Paul Devereux in 2000.

The original house was touted as having six rooms. However, today it is nearly 1,800 square feet so it has been enlarged over the years. The original garage was remodeled into a laundry room and a separate garage to the rear was added to the property just a few years after its initial construction. The home had been cared for throughout the years but just needed a bit of a facelift by the time Jim and Paul acquired it.

The floors were carpeted and when the current owners began pulling it up, they found very nice wood floors that only needed refinishing to bring them back to their original loveliness. The home has been repainted, primarily in subdued, attractive shades that complement the home's style. The exception is a delightful breakfast room that glows with color guaranteed to give anyone a great start to their day.

Jim and Paul redesigned the garage/laundry room and created a cozy den. They also remodeled the bathroom, using white subway tiles and installing a hexagonal black and white f loor which is period appropriate and timeless. They replaced kitchen appliances, but left the cheerful blue and white tile countertops.

When you first walk into the house, you are struck by the understated furnishings, which allow the beauty of the home's interior to take center stage. The living room features a colorful Amish quilt. There is a fabulous archway between the living and dining rooms with a center keystone design. A small office is located off the living room which the owners say was a girl's bedroom. Lovely sconces adorn the plaster walls and a chandelier lights the dining room; all are so perfect for the home's style that they must be original. The hallway has a unique curved wall and built-ins for storage. The yard is tranquil with greenery and a wooden deck.

Says Jim, "We made this house really happy." We know you will feel happy touring it.

1325 Lander Street
Owners - Jim Barcellos and Paul Devereux

275 Urban Road (c. 1938)

This beautiful home could easily be overlooked by those passing by, as it is long and low and set back from the street, camouflaged by greenery. However, your eye might be caught by the large statue of a woman with a quiver of arrows, holding a small buck by its antlers. The statue is a copy of Diana of Versailles. The home is a very early Ranch Style, asymmetrical with a low-pitched roof. The style was originally designed by architect William Wurster in the 1920s; it originated in California's Bay Area. Wurster was known to design his homes in partnership with the landscape. 275 Urban seems very in tune with its surroundings.

The neighborhood of Urban is dominated by the Washoe Golf Course, created by the WPA beginning in 1936. The golf course helps the area retain its rural feel, in contrast to this home's street name. The homes on Urban Road were on the southern edge of the city, outside the city limits. Prior to the development of the Washoe County Course, the Blanchfield Airfield occupied the northeast portion of the land. Reno's first Golf Club, established in 1917, was located farther down Plumas Street near Moana Lane. An elegant Country Club which was the toast of Reno was erected nearby. Unfortunately, it burned to the ground in 1936.

The beginnings of the structure at 275 Urban are unclear. Three tales that exist are that it was originally the bunkhouse for a nearby ranch, a ranch house itself, or a chicken ranch. None of these has been confirmed, although it's pretty certain today's house was created from an earlier structure. The wing containing the spare bedroom and office is older construction.

In 1943, the home was occupied by a Dr. Everett McKay, an accredited masseur. Two years later, a house referred to as "a stucco home" at this address was sold by Theodore Bernson, owner of the Senator Hotel, to Judge Roger Foley. Foley moved from Las Vegas to Reno to succeed Judge Norcross on the district court bench. The Foleys were followed by the Applewhites, the Autens, the Hancocks (John Hancock is related to the Hancocks who built our Tour home on Lander Street) and then local realtor Morgan Zack. It was Morgan's mother who introduced the statue to the home's front yard; the statue formerly graced the grounds of the Mapes Mansion on Arlington Avenue. Morgan felt it was too large and heavy to attempt to move again and besides, she seems quite at home amid the trees of Urban Road. The original Diana of Versailles resides in the Louvre Museum's Galerie des Caryatides that was designed for it.

In 2002, the home was purchased by current owner, Mimi Ellis-Hogan. Mimi grew up near Elko, in Lamoille. Her father was a well-known rancher and hotelier, R. C. "Red" Ellis, who built Stockman's Hotel. This lovely home is a testament to Mimi's impeccable taste. Upon entering the home, you find yourself in the stunning living room, probably a later addition. There are full-wall bookcases and beadboard walls which give the room a homey feel. The Flemish oil over the fireplace brings it to the next level. The dining room is spacious with more wonderful art, a beautiful large ceramic pot by Gloria Graham of New Mexico and a picture by an Elko artist; a little piece of Mimi's roots. Through the dining room is a cozy sitting room with an eighteenth century armoire of pear wood and a cowhide chair from the family ranch. The kitchen is immense—a round center island dominates the room made comfortable by a half-circle hearth. The master bedroom contains another fabulous armoire.

The backyard is pretty and comfortable and contains elements of an earlier time, such as a chicken coop. The formerly mentioned front yard is lush with greenery and the French doors across the front of the home give it a friendly and open look. We know you'll be enchanted by this captivating home.

275 Urban Road
Owner - Mimi Ellis-Hogan

572 Ridge Street (c. 1945)

Hidden behind a brick wall, a garage and a gate is our second home on Ridge Street for this sixth Home Tour. Because it has been remodeled and added to over the years, it contains elements of different styles. It can be referred to as a Vernacular Style home.

As with its neighbor, the home is contained within the Rio Vista Addition. It is, in fact, the fourth Rio Vista home HRPS has had the good fortune to have on our annual Harvest of Homes Tour. 587 Ridge Street on our 2014 tour was a top favorite and 575 Ridge, one of Frederic DeLongchamp's timeless designs, was featured on our 2012 tour. These homes are all very different and all charming in their own way. HRPS is very fortunate to have owners of these unique properties willing to open them to our guests.

572 Ridge was a vacant lot until 1945, separating the Stadtmuller home from the Chappelle home. A newspaper article from 1926 claims the lot was sold and a six-room house would shortly be built but this appears not to have occurred. As mentioned in the summary of its neighboring home at 576, these houses have long been linked. The history of the home began with the remodeling of the carriage house/garage located on the alley to the rear of 576 in 1945. Mrs. Christman turned it into a small apartment and began renting it out in 1946 as 572 Ridge. The apartment rented steadily over the next 11 years, but with tenants staying only a short time. In 1958, Lt. George Ringener of the Washoe County Sheriff's Office moved in with his wife and child. The Ringeners occupied the home until 1962 when Deputy Ringener was shot and critically wounded while trying to apprehend a burglary suspect. Neighbors recall feeling safer with a sheriff's car parked in the alley. Ringener later recovered. The apartment returned to short-term rentals until it was purchased by Mike Dolan, owner of 576 Ridge, circa 1977. Dolan sold the home to his brother Tom in 1984 and the property line between the two homes was adjusted so that the apartment was legally a part of the lot at 572 Ridge Street. The home was sold and some major remodeling was done to enlarge the house.

The living room and kitchen were made larger with an impressive stone fireplace. A second story was added with a master bedroom and adjoining bath, and another room which for awhile was a glassed-in room containing a spa. A garage was built in front of the house, in the area where Laura Christman raised her vegetables in the 1940s. Circa 1987, Lynn Carasali bought the home. She had the spa removed and brought in popular local decorator Dana Rose to remodel the downstairs living space. A short time later a fire in the attic space necessitated a remodel of the upstairs as well. Lynn tells of answering her door to a person informing her, "Your house is on fire!" Lynn sold the home in 2005. That owner sold the home in 2011 to current owners, Margo and Kenneth Bender.

The Benders love the décor that Lynn chose and have retained it. The bedroom is wallpapered in a lovely blue with white trim. The blue and yellow color palette used throughout the home is cheerful and gives the home a country feeling. In fact, that country feel, accentuated by the outdoor gardens and multiple seating areas, are what first attracted the Benders to the property. They love the fact that though the home is close enough to walk downtown to attend events, the set-back from the street and the wall give them privacy and a feeling of being surrounded by a country garden. The many windows fill the home with sunlight and add to its cheery appeal.

We hope you enjoy having this "two-fer" on Ridge and hope that we will be able to bring you more unique homes in this neighborhood in the years to come.

572 Ridge Street
Owners - Margo and Kenneth Bender

Dusty and Michael Mikel
507 West 6th Street

Kent and Christina Stoever Young
887 Marsh Avenue

Tim Braidy
373 and 373½ West Arroyo Street

The Bath Family
3636 Mayberry Drive

Jim House
175 Juniper Hill Road