(Recorded for the Nevada Historical Society Docent Council and Newcomers and Neighbors of Reno-Sparks)
In 1934, a new post office opened at 50 S. Virginia alongside the Truckee River. It opened during the main decade of the divorce era and was an extremely busy "General Delivery" site. It served the town as Reno's Main Post Office until 1975, and continued to serve as a post office box and window counter service until 2012. In August of 2012, ownership of the Reno Downtown Post Office was transferred to 50 South Virginia LLC, which carefully restored the building.
Bernie Carter Managing Member of 50 South Virginia and founder and visionary behind Reno Midtown development, will tell us how the ideas and plans and restoration of 50 S. Virginia took place, leading to a beautifully and faithfully restored downtown building.